Don’t Ditch Those Designer Dust Bags
High-end fashion houses, such as Louis Vuitton, Hermes, Gucci, and Chanel, have in common is that their handbags and shoes come with dust bags. These luxury brands include these sacks because they protect handbags and shoes from sun exposure, dust, excess moisture, color transfer, and wear and tear. Quite impressive benefits from just an ordinary bag!
If you have a sizable collection of designer shoes and handbags, then you also have an impressive collection of dust bags.
That’s because one thing high-end fashion houses, such as Louis Vuitton, Hermes, Gucci, and Chanel, have in common is that their handbags and shoes come with dust bags.
These luxury brands include these sacks because they protect handbags and shoes from sun exposure, dust, excess moisture, color transfer, and wear and tear. Quite impressive benefits from just an ordinary bag!
And, there are other uses for dust sacks than just storing the items that they came with. You can also use these bags to store jewelry and other items you want to protect.
Other Uses for Dust Bags
Here are some alternative uses for dust sacks, so you can take advantage of the bags you have collected:
- Store leather items in cotton bags to protect their luster and finish when not in use.
- Place handbags and purses in a bag to prevent color transfer. Depending on the material, some handbags can stick together when placed side-by-side for long periods of time. Dust bags prevent sticking and transferring color.
- When storing handbags or shoes for the season, place them in a sack first. That will keep other items from compressing them. Stuff shoes and bags with acid-free tissue paper to help them keep their shape.
- Protect buckles and other embellishments on shoes and bags by placing items in sacks when traveling.
- Store sentimental items, such as your wedding shoes, in dust bags to preserve their quality.
- Store your essentials in dust sacks when traveling. These bags are great for transporting electronic devices and their charging cables, undergarments, cosmetics, and more.
Protect What You Love with Exquisite Garment Storage
The Different Types of Dust Bags
Dust bags come in a variety of styles. Some of the most popular styles include:
- Drawstring Style: This kind of bag is sometimes used like a backpack for those going to the gym. They are also ideal for protecting shoes when traveling. Simply place each pair of shoes in a bag, and place the bags in your suitcase. You may also use smaller drawstring dust bags for packing wallets, clutches, and watches.
- Shopping Bag Style: This bag’s handles make it useful as a reusable tote bag. You can also use it for storing shoes, handbags, and chunkier knit items like sweaters.
- Garment Style: Some coats and suits come with long garment bags that can also serve as dust bags.
- Flap Style: Scarves, lingerie, cashmere, sunglasses, and leather goods are often placed inside square or rectangular bags with a simple flap to protect them from dust, damage, and sun exposure.
Ideal Dust Bag Fabrics
Dust bags come in a wide variety of fabrics. Like garment bags, use bags made of breathable materials to allow for air circulation. Without air, moisture may build up inside the bag and cause mold or mildew growth. That’s why we do not recommend plastic bags which hold in moisture and may cause stored items to yellow.
Some breathable fabric options include:
Twill cotton is a popular choice for dust bags. This type of cotton is less expensive than drill cotton, as well as lightweight, lint-free, and breathable. You can store purses and handbags in twill cotton dust bags for many months.
Drill cotton is lint-free, medium-weight, and made with a diagonal weave. Drill cotton feels luxurious and is highly breathable.
Flannel is one of the most common fabrics for bags. Soft flannel is superb at protecting materials like all-natural leather. Flannel holds up well to dust and is smooth to the touch. The disadvantage of flannel cotton is its tendency to produce lint.
Many luxury accessories come wrapped in a satin dust bag, including jewelry, watches, swimwear, and undergarments. Satin is lint-free, lightweight, and does not wrinkle easily. Satin can also wick away moisture, keeping items that are prone to moisture damage safe.
Non-woven fabric is the least expensive dust bag material. It is durable, yet lightweight, and is commonly used to make shopping bag-style sacks.
Many shopping bag-style and drawstring bags are made from Panamino canvas. Heavy duty and strong, Panamino canvas bags are ideal for storing weighty items such as boots. Some canvas bags are even large enough to store carry-on luggage when not in use.
Soft but strong, microfiber bags are used to protect clutches, accessories, and high-end shoes from damage. The downside is that microfiber is not very breathable and tends to trap heat.
What is the purpose of a dust bag?
Dust bags are designed to protect clothing, shoes, and accessories (such as handbags and wallets) from dust and damage when stored. You can also use these sacks as part of your household organization.
Are dust bags important?
Yes, these bags are important. When you purchase high-end items, they typically include a dust bag to protect your investment. These sacks do more than keep dust off your precious purses, wallets, and accessories. They also reduce regular wear and tear and prevent sun exposure.
What do you do with designer dust bags?
Designer dust bags have a purpose: to protect your designer items from damage. The best thing to do with these bags is to use them for that intended purpose. You can use them in a variety of other ways as well, including as reusable shopping totes or gym bags.
Why do designer items come with dust bags?
Designer handbags come with dust bags to protect them from wear and tear and environmental damages. Many designer bags are susceptible to color transfer and UV damage from prolonged sun exposure. If you do not want your designer handbag to look dusty, bleached, or scratched, store it in its dust bag when not in use.
So, not only should you not discard the dust bags you have accumulated, you can use these versatile bags to store your handbags and shoes, as well as a variety of other belongings. What seems like an unnecessary item protects your most treasured accessories from damage and extends their life.
Protect What You Love
A better way to protect and organize your clothes